Water Damage from a flooded basement, burst or frozen pipe is one of the most common reasons people make Insurance Claims to their homes or business here in Michigan. However, not all types of water damage is covered by a standard homeowners policy. Here’s what’s covered, what’s not…
Standard Michigan Homeowners Insurance Policies Generally Cover The Following Types of Water Damage:
- water damage from leaking or frozen burst pipes are usually covered but leaving the house unocupied or without heat could void insurance coverage and result in a denied water damage claim.
- water damage from rain water infiltrations are covered, unless the howowner failed to maintain the property adequatly (old roof, for example)
- water damge from ice dams on the roof
- water damage from applience overflows – covered if accidental, not covered if the homeowner improperly maintain the applience
- water damage to roof – covered if accidental, like in the case of storm damage, hail damage, or water damage because of a tree falling on the roof. However, roof repairs are not covered if the water damage is due to a maintenance issue.
- mold, as result to water damage – generally covered if due to accidental water damage that is covered by the policy.
Standard Michigan Homeowners Insurance Policies Generally Do Not Cover the Following Types of Water Damage:
- overflows or backups from your sump pump, sewer system or drains; sewer and drains backups coverage is available to purchase separately, for annual premiums ranging from $60 to $80
- water-related damages from flooding (overflowing river water) – not covered by a standard homeowner insurance policy, but flood coverage is available to purchase separately from the National Flood Insurance Program.
- ground water seepage, like in the case of ground waters entering the basement or house through the foundation of doors during a storm – not covered, as is generally considered a maintenance issue
Please note: Each insurance policy is different. For specifics on what type of water damage is covered under your homeowners policy, please consult your insurance documents, speak to your insurance agent, or let us know if you need any help interpreting your policy.
Michigan Water Damage – Facts???
- approximately 96% of all Michigan basements will experience some type of Water Damage during their lifespan.
- about 6,000 people in Michigan encounter a Water Damage Loss each day
- 30% of Michigan homeowners claim to have suffer Water Losses at some point
- Water Damage Claims, including frozen and burst pipes, account for about 16% of homeowners insurance claims
- the average Water Damage claim between 2012 and 2018, was $6,065.88, a whooping increase since the ’90s , when the average Water Damage Claim was only about $800
- the insurance industry spends about $2.5 billion per year on Water Damage Claims
If you have suffered a Water Damage Loss here in Michigan and need immediate assistance with your Water Damage Claim, please contact Select Restoration with any questions you might have. Our certified Water Damage Specialists have been helping Michigan homeowners and businesses throughout Michigan with their Water Damage Claims, for over 25 years.